18 Nov 2013 Comments Off
Cheap storage doesn’t mean cutting corners. Companies that offer cheap storage in Melbourne are usually able to provide you with packaging materials such as high quality boxes, packaging paper, bubble wrap and specialist boxes for wardrobes and televisions. Use these products and follow this advice when packing your products for self storage. Make sure you pack your items properly so that your goods are in the same condition that you left them in, whether it’s for long term or short term self storage. Remember, cheap storage shouldn’t mean compromising on quality or customer service.
1. Don’t move wardrobes or drawers while they are still full.
2. Clothing and personal goods should be packed in strong secure cartons. Cardboard boxes are the best option to keep clothing fresh. Clothing can yellow in plastic bags.
3. To avoid damage and save space, remove the legs off furniture.
4. Make sure everything is dry and clean before you store it. Crumbs can attract vermin or cause rotting, and wet objects attract mould.
5. Cover all furniture with a cloth.
6. Make sure all whitegoods (fridges, freezers etc) are empty, clean and dry before storing. The smell of an unclean fridge in storage is not something you want to experience.
7. Leave the doors of your whitegoodsslightly ajar to prevent mould build up.
8. Place a deodoriser inside fridges or freezers.
9. Wrap all breakable items separately in tissue or packing paper and in a packing box. Ensure they are marked “Fragile”. You may think you’ll remember where you’ve packed everything, but whether it’s one week or 3 years, you want to be able to come back to your stored items and be able to find what you need easily.
10. Place packing in the top and bottom of cartons for added protection.
11. Empty spaces in boxes, vases, cups etc. should be filled with packing paper.
12. Don’t stack heavy items on top of cartons containing breakables.
13. If you still have the original boxes for electronics, use these for packing. Otherwise, your storage centre should be able to provide specially designed boxes.
14. To minimise rust in metal items such as tools, wipe the item with a few drops of oil before storing them away.
15. You are not allowed to store anything that is hazardous, illegal, stolen, flammable, explosive, environmentally harmful, perishable or that is a risk to the property of any person. This includes items like petrol tins, paint thinner, full gas bottles or chlorine.
Discount City Self Storage Docklands offers cheap self storage in Melbourne. Speak to them about packing supplies and storage options that are right for your needs.